Top Posts & Pages
- Listerine, Lambert Pharmacal Company, St. Louis, MO
- The W. T. Rawleigh Company, Freeport, IL
- Bromo-Seltzer, Emerson Drug Co. Baltimore, MD.
- Armour and Company, Chicago, IL
- California Fig Syrup Co. San Francisco, Cal.
- Chapman & Smith Co. Chicago, IL
- Dr. King’s New Discovery for Coughs and Colds, H. E. Bucklen & Co., Chicago, ILL
- Fellows' Compound Syrup of Hypophosphites, Fellows Co., New York
- Burnett’s Standard Flavoring Extracts, Joseph Burnett Company, Boston, MA
- Scott's Emulsion of Cod Liver Oil, New York City, New York
Author Archives: Jessica
The product Santal de Midy was a medicine for the treatment of venereal and urinary diseases, most notably gonorrhea. Santal is the French name of sandalwood (bois de santal), the principal ingredient of the medicine, and Midy is the name … Continue reading
According to the Minneapolis Historic Building Survey, “The LaVoris Company was founded in 1902 by Charles E. Leigh and William H. Levings. Leigh was a druggist at 7th Street and Nicollet Avenue. Lavoris originated the mouthwash which became the firm’s … Continue reading
Electric Bitters was a laxative that contained 18% alcohol. It’s label proclaimed it was “The Great Family Remedy for all diseases of the stomach, liver and kidneys, biliousness, general debility, fever and ague and blood disorders.” As mentioned in another … Continue reading
Fish oil capsules and omega-3 supplements that are common today can trace their origins to the infamous cod liver oil of yesteryear, often given to children by well intentioned adults to combat the debilitating diseases caused by vitamin D deficiency, … Continue reading
The story of this Waterman’s Ink bottle is not so much about ink as it is about pens, since Lewis Waterman is known as “the inventor of the capillary feed fountain pen and the founder of Ideal Pen Company and … Continue reading
Unlike many patent medicine creators of the 19th century, Thomas J. Husband, creator of Husband’s Calcined Magnesia, seems to have been well liked and highly respected by all, with a product that seemed both effective and free of controversy.