Kemp’s Balsam was a cough medicine that was successfully marketed by Orator Frank Woodward, a business man in Le Roy, New York. After the small success of his own inventions, Woodward bought the rights to several patent medicines from their inventors and marketed them under the Genesee Pure Food Company name, including Kemp’s Balsam, Lane’s Tea, Lane’s Cold Tablets, Kemp’s Laxatives, Sherman’s Head Ache Remedy and Raccoon Corn Plasters. He made his fortune after acquiring the rights to Jell-O from inventor Pearle Bixby Wait in 1899, and it is for Jell-O that Orator Woodward is now famous.
Bottle embossed: KEMPS BALSAM
According to Douglas M. Steiner, E-Z Stove Polish was manufactured in Chicago in 1895 by brothers William and Darwin Martin. The Martin & Martin company made shoe polish and stove polish and lasted until at least 1938. The most notable historical aspect of this company is not the polish they produced, or even the brothers who produced it, but the building in which it was produced, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, who also designed and built a number of other buildings for the Martin brothers and their friends, as well as the Martin & Martin company logo. The E-Z Polish Factory (built 1905) is the only factory building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and it still stands today.
Bottle Embossed “Trade Mark/E-Z Stove Polish / Does It Easy / Martin & Martin / Chicago”
According to Wikipedia, “Pluto Water was a trademark for a strongly laxative natural water product which was very popular in the United States in the early 20th century. The water’s laxative properties were from its high native content of mineral salts, with the active ingredient listed as sodium and magnesium sulfate, which are known as natural laxatives. The water also contains a number of other minerals, most notably lithium salts. The sale of Pluto Water was halted in 1971 when lithium became a controlled substance. The water was bottled at the French Lick Springs, in French Lick, Indiana, a location with natural mineral springs.”
Bottle Embossed PLUTO WATER
Bottle base features an image of Pluto, or a devil.
The Heberling Medicine & Extract Company of Bloomington, IL manufactured medicines, spices, flavoring extracts, toilet articles, minerals, tea, perfumes and assorted miscellany ranging from stove polish to sewing machine oil. Founded in 1902 by brothers George C. Heberling and John G. Heberling. According to Historian Bill Kemp, “George Heberling bought out his brother’s interest, and under his direction, the business grew to where it occupied the entire five-story brick building at Douglas and Prairie [streets in Bloomington, IL], as well as the three-story brick structure attached on the west. The business used self-employed salesmen who went door-to-door (or rather, farm-to-farm, since most of its customers were rural folk). At one time, more than 500 of these traveling salesmen sold Heberling wares in 28 states.”
Heberling bottle front.
Bottle embossed “HEBERLING”
The product Santal de Midy was a medicine for the treatment of venereal and urinary diseases, most notably gonorrhea. Santal is the French name of sandalwood (bois de santal), the principal ingredient of the medicine, and Midy is the name of the French pharmaceutical laboratory that pioneered the method of extraction. Bottles embossed ‘Santal de Midy, Paris’ contained pills “distilled from Mysore Sandalwood by the Midy’s process” according to an article in American Druggist and Pharmaceutical Record from 1897.
Bottle embossed Santal de Midy, Paris
According to the Minneapolis Historic Building Survey, “The LaVoris Company was founded in 1902 by Charles E. Leigh and William H. Levings. Leigh was a druggist at 7th Street and Nicollet Avenue. Lavoris originated the mouthwash which became the firm’s principal product. From humble beginnings in one room at the Masonic Temple (at 5th and Hennepin), the firm grew to become one of the largest manufacturing chemists’ in the industry. The Lavoris Company was acquired by the Vicks Company in 1961.”
Electric Bitters was a laxative that contained 18% alcohol. It’s label proclaimed it was “The Great Family Remedy for all diseases of the stomach, liver and kidneys, biliousness, general debility, fever and ague and blood disorders.”
As mentioned in another post, H.E. Bucklen & Company of Chicago were highly successful sellers of a number of popular (and fraudulent) patent medicines, including Dr. King’s New Discovery, Electric Bitters, The New Life Pills, Dr. King’s California Golden Compound, Dr. King’s Hop Cordial, and Dr. Scheeler’s Great German Cure for Consumption.
Bottle embossed: H.E. Bucklen & Co, Chicago, ILL
Bottle embossed: Electric Bitters